The New Messages: Email, Text & Chat From Your Facebook
- Joseph Olesh
- On July 30, 2011
Facebook has enhanced its Messages product to now include texts, email and chat. The privacy of Messages will stay in tact, but now you’ll be able to enjoy all the functionality email provides integrated with group chat features. Facebook is also distributing “@facebook.com” email addresses to its users so that the experience is truly “all in one place.”
Not all accounts have been upgraded yet, but be assured Facebook will get to all in due time. My own tests with the upgraded features this evening have proven to be very impressive so far.
Some of these new features include:
- Faster interaction: If you want, you can send messages just by hitting your Enter key, so the new Messages is as fast (and as informal) as an in-person conversation.
- Integrated communication: No matter what you’re using to communicate (Facebook, mobile or email), your conversation streams quickly and seamlessly into one place.
- Smart filtering: You’ll always see what’s important to you first – messages from the people you’re close to take precedence over mailing lists.
- Revamped search: Search for either the person you were talking with or what you were talking about to quickly find your message and all the related context.
- Adding people to group conversations: Loop new people into the conversation, giving them full access to everything that’s been said so far.
- Forwarding: Pass individual messages along to other friends.
- Unsubscribing, or removing yourself from a conversation: Leave a group conversation when you no longer wish to receive new messages.
- Sending attachments: In addition to sending links, photos and videos, you can now attach external files to your messages.
This is sure to be the first of a few Tier10 reviews regarding the new Facebook update, so stay tuned. For all related FAQs regarding the new Messages product, see: https://www.facebook.com/about/messages.
If you’ve upgraded your account, please leave your thoughts below.
1,216 total views, 1 views today
4 Important Steps to Connecting With Social Media Influencers... August 5, 2014 | Jason Galliger
Facebook Unveils New Ad Targeting System October 11, 2013 | Eric Huebner
“Like” Gates Are Over; What Now? November 6, 2014 | Xavier Villarmarzo
Typos Be Gone: Facebook Now Offering Post Editing... September 30, 2013 | Ally Reis
Subscribe to Tier10lab Weekly
Get our free weekly newsletter that covers the latest from the lab.
March 15, 2018
January 16, 2018